Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Disappeared Ones

for Jill Meagher

"We have everything to say,
and nothing."

I wrote this line 
at a time of great bewilderment,
when I saw a life taken too early
and sense would not make itself known.

It is a fool's errand 
to try to make sense of the senseless,
or imagine the unimaginable,
I know that,
just as I know that my meagre words 
are but smoke to the wind.

Yet while horror rests briefly on its haunches

I think of the disappeared ones/
the lovely, brave, tremendous souls
You dwell in our memories dream clad,
gilded by sunblur 
and tender melodies.

I think of a daughter I will some day have to tell,

"My darling one,
these streets may not be safe for you -
this world will try to scour the gold 
                                                      from your eyes 
and bury bullets in your grace.
But believe me,
beauty lives here also, and compassion, 
                                                                            and goodness -
May we tip the scales in their favour."

I think of a grieving city
where the sum of our disparate parts
equals a beating heart
that declares 
"If evil exists then so does 
                                                                    the opposite."

I think of a family.

A family.

And I think of you,
beautiful stranger.

Sleep well now,
we will remember you.

6 comments:

fieldnotesandfootnotes said...

So beautiful and so sad. (And e'er thanks for crafting words in a way most of us could never.)

angela y said...

Thank You Omar

Emeretta Cross said...

Omar well said...the sum of our desperate parts equals one Victorian to Global heart.
MX

kath / AliaK said...

lovely. thank you

Miss Prince said...

Beautiful. Words seem futile at times like these, but you have just proved that not all prose is empty. Bravo.

Lili said...

From Ireland, Jill's home, where the whole country is greiving- thank you for this, such a loving and beautiful tribute. You've captured my feelings about this terrible tragedy perfectly.